- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk or buttermilk
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 apples
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons flour
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons butter, room temperature
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees F. Butter or oil a non-reactive 9-inch square baking
- Peel, core and slice the apples; set aside.
- Cream sugar and butter together in a mixing bowl.
- Add egg and beat until thoroughly mixed.
- Add baking soda and milk and mix until smooth.
- Add flour, salt and baking powder and mix until smooth.
- Blend in apples and vanilla extract.
- Place in the prepared baking dish.
- Place all topping ingredients in a small mixing bowl.
- Using a pastry cutter,
two knives or your fingers, cut the butter into the mixture until balls begin to
- Sprinkle crumbs on top of the apple mixture.
- Bake for about 25 to 30 minutes, until the apples are tender and cake tester
comes out clean.
- Serve warm or at room temperature, topped with a dollop of ice cream, if desired.