Long cooking develops the wonderful old-fashioned flavor.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 1 pound navy beans
- 1/2 pound bacon ends
- 1 medium onion, quartered
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 2 cups hot water
- Soak beans overnight
in 6 cups water; add 1/4 teaspoon baking soda if water is hard.
- Parboil beans for 20 minutes.
- Drain beans after parboiling; rinse with cold water.
- Dice bacon ends to 1-inch square, placing half in the bottom of a 2-quart bean
pot or casserole along with the quartered onion.
- Add beans.
- Mix remaining ingredients with hot water. Pour over top of beans.
- Top with remaining bacon ends.
- Cover and bake in a 300 degree F oven for about 6 hours adding hot water
as needed to keep beans moist.
Serves 8 to 10.
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Amish Recipes