This post may contain affiliate links. Please see our
- 1 pound (2 cups) navy beans, dried
- 2 1/2 quarts water
- 1 (1 1/2 pound) meaty ham bone
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 small bay leaf
- 1 cup cubed potatoes
- 1 cup celery, thinly sliced
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup carrots, cubed
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Boil the beans in the water for 2 minutes before removing them from the heat
to let stand for 1 hour.
- Add the ham bone, garlic and bay leaf to the beans, and cover and simmer them
for 2 hours or until the ingredients are almost tender.
- Add the vegetables and salt and pepper to taste, and simmer them for 1 hour longer.
- Remove the ham bone, cut off the meat and dice it to add to the beans.
- Reheat the
soup almost to boiling, then remove the bay leaf.