Beef and Noodle Oven Stew
- 1/4 cup instant beef bouillon granules
- 10 cups hot water
- 1 (3 ounce) boneless
chuck roast, trimmed
- 8 whole cloves
- 3 ribs celery, cut into thirds
- 2 large
carrots, peeled, cut into thirds
- 1 large onion, quartered
- 1 seeded green bell
- 1 small bunch parsley sprigs plus 1/2 cup, chopped
- 2 bay
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly-ground pepper
- 1 (16 ounce) package egg noodles
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Freshly-ground pepper, to taste
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Dissolve beef bouillon in water in large Dutch oven.
- Add chuck roast, cloves,
celery, carrots, onion, green pepper and parsley sprigs.
- Cover; bake until meat
is tender, 3 hours.
- Transfer meat to cutting board. Shred meat into bite-size pieces.
- Remove vegetables
from broth with slotted spoon; chop.
- Return meat and vegetables to broth.
- Stir in
uncooked noodles, salt and pepper; cover.
- Bake until noodles are tender, stirring once, about 30 minutes. Add additional
water if noodles absorb all of broth.
- Sprinkle with chopped parsley.
Yields 10 servings.
Nutrients per serving: 505 calories; 34 grams carbohydrates; 26 grams fat
(10 grams saturated fat); 130 mg cholesterol; 32 grams protein; 1,360 mg sodium;
2.7 grams fiber
Source: The Wichita Eagle - 10/18/2000