Browned Stew with Dumplings
This is an old Amish Mennonite recipe.
- 2 pounds cubed beef
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons fat (or vegetable oil)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups boiling water
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 2 to 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon solid shortening
- Cut meat into small cubes.
- Melt fat in a hot skillet or Dutch oven.
- Brown meat and onion in fat, keep it
sizzling hot until nicely browned.
- Sprinkle flour, salt and pepper over meat.
- Add the boiling water and lemon juice.
- Cover the pan and lower the heat so that meat simmers for 3 to 3 1/2 hours.
- Dumplings: Stir quickly together and drop from a spoon onto simmering stew.
and allow to cook 12 to 25 minutes.