- 6 cups water
- 1 cup small pearl tapioca
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 4 egg yolks, beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 stick ( 1/2 cup) unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Mix together water, tapioca and salt in large saucepan. Heat to boil over medium
heat. Reduce heat to low; simmer, stirring occasionally, 15 minutes.
- Stir in brown sugar; continue to simmer, stirring occasionally, until thickened, 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, combine egg yolks, milk and sugar in small saucepan; cook over low
heat, stirring constantly until thick enough to coat back of spoon.
- Remove from heat; stir in butter and vanilla extract.
- Stir into tapioca mixture.
- Pour into custard cups or bowls.
- Chill completely before serving, about 3 hours or overnight.
Yields 8 servings.
Nutrients per serving: 470 calories; 85 grams carbohydrates; 14 grams fat
(8 grams saturated fat); 140 mg cholesterol; 2.6 grams protein; 340 mg sodium; 0.2