- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 6 to 8 peaches, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup boiling water
- Ground nutmeg
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, nutmeg and salt; set aside.
- In a large mixer bowl, cream the butter.
- Add 1/2 cup of the granulated sugar, and blend well.
- Beat in the flour mixture. (Recipe can be prepared to this point
up to a day ahead and refrigerated.)
- Oil a 9-inch square baking pan (using a metal pan gives a better texture to this
dessert) and place half the peaches on the bottom.
- Sprinkle half the flour mixture over the fruit.
- Add the remaining peaches and then the rest of the flour mixture.
- In a small bowl, combine the remaining 1/2 cup of granulated sugar and brown sugar;
sprinkle over all.
- Put the almond extract in a 1-cup measure and fill with boiling
water. Pour over the top of the cobbler, but do not mix.
- Sprinkle with additional nutmeg and bake for 1 hour.
- Serve warm.
Serving size: 6