Pickled Beets and Eggs
A great Amish recipe!
- 8 large hard-cooked eggs, peeled
- 2 (16 ounce) cans sliced beets, drain but reserving
- 1 cup juice
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 10 whole cloves
- Place eggs and drained beets in a large, nonstaining bowl (glass or stainless
steel works well).
- Bring 1 cup reserved beet juice, sugar, vinegar, salt, pepper, bay leaves and
cloves to a simmer in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook until sugar
is completely dissolved, about 3 minutes. Pour beet juice mixture over eggs and
beets, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 24 hours or up to 3
days. (At 24 hours the pink color will be halfway through the egg white, while after
48 or more hours the egg white will be fully pink.)
- To serve, drain eggs and beets, discarding bay leaves and cloves.
- Slice eggs
in half lengthwise and arrange on a serving platter.
- Scatter beets around the eggs.
Makes 8 to 10 servings.