- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups mashed potatoes
- 1 cup sweet milk
- 5 teaspoons baking powder
- 5 cups flour
- 3 tablespoons melted shortening
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- Beat mashed potatoes; add melted shortening, beaten eggs and milk.
- Sift dry ingredients together and add to liquid. Dough should be soft, yet firm
enough to roll.
- Divide dough into four parts. Roll out one part at a time to 3/4-inch
thickness. Cut with doughnut cutter and drop into deep fat which has been heated
to 375 degrees F. Fry until golden brown on both sides.
- Drain on absorbent paper.
- Shake in a paper bag containing a mixture of sugar and cinnamon or confectioners'
Yields about 4 1/2 dozen doughnuts.
Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Amish Recipes