Salt Rising Bread
- 2 1/2 cups potatoes, sliced
- 2 tablespoons cornmeal
- 1 1/2 tablespoons salt
- 1 quart boiling water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup warm milk
- 1 tablespoon shortening, melted
- 11 cups flour
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting Recipe Goldmine.
- Sprinkle 1 tablespoon salt and the cornmeal over potatoes. Add boiling water
and stir until salt has dissolved. Cover and keep warm from noon to the following
- Drain off liquid into a large bowl. Add the baking soda, 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
and 5 cups flour to the liquid. Stir until ingredients are well blended. This sponge
should be the consistency of cake batter. Set mixture in a warm place, and let rise
until light and full of bubbles. This requires about 1 1/2 hours.
- Scald milk and cool to lukewarm.
- Add shortening. Add milk and remaining flour
to sponge. Knead for 10 to 12 minutes and shape into 3 loaves. Let rise until light - about 1 1/2 hours.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 1 hour.
Yield: 3 medium-size loaves
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Amish Recipes