Shoo Fly Pies
Shoo Fly Pie is a molasses pie that developed its traditional form among the Pennsylvania Dutch
in the 1880s, who ate it with strong black coffee for breakfast.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup margarine
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup molasses
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 teaspoon baking soda, dissolved in the hot water
- 2 unbaked 8-inch pie crusts
- Mix crumb ingredients together until crumbs are formed.
- In separate bowl, mix syrup ingredients together. Pour 1/2 of syrup into each
pie shell, then top each with crumbs, using 1/2 on each.
- Bake at 400 degrees F for 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 350 degrees F and bake for 50 more minutes.
- Cool completely before cutting.
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.