Vanilla Whoopie Pies
- 1 cup shortening (Crisco)
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 5 cups Gold Medal flour
- 2 whole eggs and 2 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk [or sour milk]
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 egg whites
- 2 pounds confectioners' sugar
- 1 1/2 cups Crisco
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract or to taste
- Cream shortening, sugar, salt, eggs and vanilla together.
- Sift flour and baking powder; add baking soda with water and milk. Mix together (add chips at this point after mixing and mix a bit more).
- Bake at 425 degrees F for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add milk or cream if needed for consistency.
Posted by philocrates at recipegoldmine.com
Source: Mrs. Levi A Kanagy III, Bellville, Pennsylvania - from the Big Valley Amish Cookbook 1979