Ground Cherry Pie
Ground cherries, also known as husk tomatoes, produce tiny tomato-like fruits
in papery husks on low, lanky bushes. This is an old Mennonite recipe with a crumb
- 2 1/2 cups pitted ground cherries
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 (9-inch) pie shell
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Heat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Wash ground cherries and place in unbaked pie shell.
- Mix brown sugar and 1 tablespoon flour and sprinkle over cherries. Sprinkle water
- Mix together the 3 tablespoons flour and 3 tablespoons sugar. Cut butter in until
crumbly. Top cherry mixture with crumbs.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 375 degrees F and continue to
bake for 25 minutes.