Mennonite Oatmeal Bread
- 2 cups rolled oats (preferably coarse)
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup lukewarm water
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 packets yeast (about 2 tablespoons)
- Chopped nuts (optional)
- Raisins (optional)
- About 6 cups all-purpose flour
- Pour boiling water over rolled oats; stir and add molasses, salt, brown sugar
and shortening. Let stand until lukewarm, then add yeast dissolved in warm water
- Mix in flour until it requires muscle. Then knead a few minutes on well
floured surface. Put dough in bowl; cover.
- Let rise 1 to 2 hours in warm, draft-free
place to double its size (rolls and buns take less time to rise and bake; can make
various shapes). It is risen enough if the dent stays when you press your fingers
deeply into it. Nuts or raisins may be added with flour or kneaded into individual
- Divide into 2 loaves; let rise again until smooth and round over tops of pans,
about an hour or more.
- Bake at 400 degrees F for 35 minutes.
Rye Bread variation: Use half rye and half all-purpose flour and use 1/2 cup
molasses as part of the liquid
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.