Mennonite Apple Dumplings
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons shortening
- 1 cup milk
- 4 or 5 apples pared, cored and cut in half
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
Brown Sugar Sauce
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter
- Dumplings: Sift the dry ingredients, cut in shortening, add milk and mix to a
smooth dough. Turn onto a floured board and divide into 8 or 10 portions; roll out
each portion large enough to cover 1/2 apple.
- Place apple on each piece of dough, fill core hollow with sugar and cinnamon.
- Wet edges of dough and press together over apple.
- Place on greased baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees F until the apples are
tender - about 1/2 hour.
- Serve with boiled Brown Sugar Sauce or put the dumplings into a baking dish,
pour the uncooked ingredients for Brown Sugar Sauce into the pan around them and
bake until the dumplings are done and the sauce is thick.
- Brown Sugar Sauce: Combine and cook together for 5 minutes; or simply pour uncooked
sauce around dumplings and bake.
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Mennonite Recipes