Mennonite Caramel Apples
- 6 red baking apples
- 1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Wash and pare apples one-third of the way down from stem end. Leave whole. Remove
cores and cook in syrup made of sugar and water. When apples are tender, remove
to serving dish.
- Combine cornstarch and milk to make a smooth paste. Bring cornstarch to the boiling
point and then add syrup in which apples were cooked. Cook for 10 minutes or until
cornstarch is thoroughly cooked.
- Remove from heat and add butter, salt and vanilla extract. Pour over apples and
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.