Mennonite Relief Sale Cream Buns
Some Mennonite bakers fill these light buns with sweetened whipped cream; others
use the filling that follows. You can fill them with homemade preserves and a final
dusting of icing sugar. Without the cream filling, the buns make great dinner rolls.
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup warm water (105 degrees F)
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 1 egg, well beaten
- 4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 cup softened shortening
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Strawberry or other fruit preserves
- Confectioners' sugar
- Buns: In heavy saucepan, heat milk over medium heat.
Add 1/3 cup sugar, the shortening and salt, stirring until sugar is dissolved and shortening melted. Pour into large
bowl; let cool until lukewarm.
- In small bowl, stir together water and remaining sugar, stirring to dissolve
sugar; sprinkle yeast over surface. let stand in warm place for 10 minutes, until puffy.
- Whisk egg and yeast mixture into milk mixture.
- Beat in flour 1 cup at a time until smooth dough forms.
- Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface; knead in remaining flour until soft
but not sticky dough forms. Knead for 8 to 10 minutes until dough is smooth and elastic. Form dough into ball; place
in lightly oiled bowl, turning dough to coat with oil. Cover loosely with plastic wrap; let rise in warm, draft-free place for
1 1/2 hours or until doubled in size.
- Punch dough down; let dough rest for 10 minutes. Divide dough into 24 even-size
pieces; shape into buns.
- Place on greased or parchment-paper lined baking sheets. Cover with damp towel;
let rise at room temperature for 1 1/2 hours or until doubled in size.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Bake buns for 12 to 15 minutes until well risen and golden brown, and buns sound
hollow when tapped on bases.
- Let buns cool on wire racks.
- Cream Filling: In large bowl, beat together sugar, milk and
egg whites until smooth.
- Beat in shortening and vanilla extract until smooth and creamy.
- Split cooled buns, spread with filling and preserves and sift confectioners'
sugar over tops.
Yield: 24 buns
Posted by Olga at Recipe Goldmine 6:11:10pm 2/15/03.
Source: Canadian Back Roads and Country Cooking
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.