Mennonite Relief Sale Cream Buns
Some Mennonite bakers fill these light buns with sweetened whipped cream; others
use the filling that follows. You can fill them with homemade preserves and a final
dusting of icing sugar. Without the cream filling, the buns make great dinner rolls.
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup warm water (105 degrees F)
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 1 egg, well beaten
- 4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 cup softened shortening
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Strawberry or other fruit preserves
- Confectioners' sugar
- Buns: In heavy saucepan, heat milk over medium heat. Add 1/3 cup sugar, the shortening
and salt, stirring until sugar is dissolved and shortening melted. Pour into large
bowl; let cool until lukewarm.
- In small bowl, stir together water and remaining sugar, stirring to dissolve
sugar; sprinkle yeast over surface. let stand in warm place for 10 minutes, until
- Whisk egg and yeast mixture into milk mixture.
- Beat in flour 1 cup at a time until smooth dough forms.
- Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface; knead in remaining flour until soft
but not sticky dough forms. Knead for 8 to 10 minutes until dough is smooth and
elastic. Form dough into ball; place in lightly oiled bowl, turning dough to coat
with oil. Cover loosely with plastic wrap; let rise in warm, draft-free place for
1 1/2 hours or until doubled in size.
- Punch dough down; let dough rest for 10 minutes. Divide dough into 24 even-size
pieces; shape into buns.
- Place on greased or parchment-paper lined baking sheets. Cover with damp towel;
let rise at room temperature for 1 1/2 hours or until doubled in size.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Bake buns for 12 to 15 minutes until well risen and golden brown, and buns sound
hollow when tapped on bases.
- Let buns cool on wire racks.
- Cream Filling: In large bowl, beat together sugar, milk and egg whites until
- Beat in shortening and vanilla extract until smooth and creamy.
- Split cooled buns, spread with filling and preserves and sift confectioners'
sugar over tops.
Yield: 24 buns
Posted by Olga at Recipe Goldmine 6:11:10pm 2/15/03.
Source: Canadian Back Roads and Country Cooking
Recipe Goldmine is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. This is without any additional cost to you.