Goetta, a breakfast sausage, was originally a peasant dish, meant to stretch
out servings of meat over several meals. It is very popular in the Cincinnati, Ohio,
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1 pound ground beef
- 8 cups water
- 2 1/2 cups steel cut oatmeal
- 1 large onion, sliced*
- 1 to 4 bay leaves (optional)*
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Pinch of pepper
- In a large pot with a lid, boil the water, add salt, pepper and oatmeal. Cover
and let cook for two hours, stirring often.
- Add the meat, onion and bay leaves. Mix well. Cook for another hour, stirring
often. Remove bay leaf.
- Pour into any size bread pans. Refrigerate overnight.
- To serve, slice the goetta and fry it until crispy or just until heated through.
- Goetta may be served with pancakes and eggs, on sandwiches or in place of meat at
* Two teaspoons of savory may be substituted for the onion and bay leaf.
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.