Moravian Hearts (Love Cakes)
These iced cookies can be used on any festive occasion: simply draw liturgical
symbols for the corresponding feast day on them.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1/2 cup warm molasses
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 7/8 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 teaspoon each baking soda, salt, ginger, cloves and cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon each nutmeg and allspice
- Mix butter, molasses and sugar.
- Add sifted dry ingredients.
- Roll very thin. Cut with large heart shape cutter.
- Bake in 375 degree F oven for six minutes.
- Ice with almond flavored confectioners' frosting.
Source: Holy Housewifery Cookbook by Ethel Marbach, Abbey Press, Saint
Meinrad, Indiana, 1968
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Moravian Recipes