Moravian Sugar Cakes
- 1 package dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1 cup unseasoned mashed potatoes
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water in which potatoes were cooked
- 2 eggs, well beaten
- 5 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1 cup butter
- Cinnamon (optional)
- Pecan pieces (optional)
- Dissolve yeast in warm water.
- Mix mashed potatoes, sugar, butter, shortening and salt.
- When lukewarm, add potato water and yeast mixture.
- Set first mixture aside and let rise in a warm place until spongy.
- Beat in eggs and flour to make a soft dough.
- Let rise until double in bulk. Punch down and divide dough in half.
- Spread dough evenly into 2 greased 13 x 9-inch pans. Let rise until double in
- Make holes with fingers in rows down dough. Fill with dots of butter and brown
sugar. Be generous. Dust with cinnamon and pecan pieces if desired.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Remove cakes from pans and cool on racks.
- Serve cakes, cut into squares, either warm or cold.
If preferred 4 (9-inch) cake pans may be substituted for the large pans. Cakes
may be frozen after baking.
Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Moravian Recipes