Famous Pennsylvania Dutch Sticky Cinnamon Buns
- 1 package dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1 cup milk, scalded
- 3 tablespoons
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 1/4 cups sifted flour, divided
tablespoons soft butter
- 1/2 cup chopped raisins
- 2 tablespoons currants
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped citron
- 1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- Soften yeast in warm water and let stand for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Add milk to sugar and salt. Mix and cool to lukewarm.
- Add 1 cup flour and mix until smooth. Stir in yeast. Add remaining flour mixing
well. Knead dough on floured board until smooth. Put in greased bowl, grease top,
cover with towel and let rise in warm room until double.
- Punch down dough, and roll into a rectangle about 1/4 inch thick. Brush with
the softened butter and spread with mixture of raisins, currants, citron, the 1/4
cup brown sugar and cinnamon. Roll up like a jellyroll and cut into 1/4-inch thick
slices. Lay the slices in a buttered 13 x 9 x 2-inch pan. Cover and let rise until
- Sprinkle top with the 3 tablespoons brown sugar.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 20
to 25 minutes.
Source: Pennsylvania Dutch Cook Book