Pennsylvania Dutch Advent Cookies
Make these cookies at Thanksgiving or at the end of November. Store for at least 4 to 6 weeks before eating.
- 1 teacup molasses
- 7 ounces light brown sugar
- 9 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 10 ounces softened butter or margarine
- Pinch of cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pound all-purpose flour
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Mix all of the ingredients together, except for the flour. Add the flour slowly
to the rest of the mixture until it reaches the right consistency to roll out. (You
may not have to use all the flour.) The dough should be quite soft. You may find
it easier to knead it with your hands.
- Roll out on a floured surface to a thickness of about 1/4 inch and cut into decorative
shapes with small cookie cutters, a sharp knife or the rim of a glass.
- Place on a greased baking sheet and bake for about 8 minutes.
- Remove from the oven while they are still soft; cool on a rack.
- Pack into crocks or jars.
Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Pennsylvania Dutch Recipes