Pennsylvania Dutch Apple Butter
- 3 quarts sweet cider
- 8 pounds ripe, well-flavored apples
- 2 1/2 cups brown sugar, firmly packed
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 2 teaspoons cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Cook cider over high heat, uncovered, about 30 minutes or until it is reduced
- Wash, quarter and core unpeeled apples. Add to cider, and cook over low heat
until very tender. Stir frequently. Work apple mixture through a sieve, returning
the puree to the kettle. Stir in sugar, all the spices, and salt. Cook over very
low heat, stirring almost continuously, until mixture thickens.
- Pour into sterilized pint jars and seal securely.
Makes 4 jars.