Pennsylvania Dutch Brownies
- 4 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 (1 ounce) square unsweetened chocolate
- 1/4 cup light molasses
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon
- 1 cup plus 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1 1/8 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease 13 x 9-inch metal baking pan; set aside.
- In a 4-quart saucepan, melt butter with chocolate over low heat. Remove saucepan
from heat. With wire whisk or fork, stir in molasses, then eggs.
- With spoon, stir in flour, ginger, cloves, baking soda, salt, 1 cup sugar and
1 teaspoon cinnamon just until blended. Spread batter evenly in pan. Bake 15 to
20 minutes, until a wooden pick inserted 2 inches from edge comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, in cup, combine remaining 2 teaspoons sugar and 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon;
- Remove pan from oven; immediately sprinkle brownies with cinnamon-sugar mixture.
Cool brownies in pan on wire rack at least 2 hours. When cool, cut brownies lengthwise
into 3 strips, then cut each strip crosswise into 5 pieces. Cut each piece diagonally
Source: Good Housekeeping Christmas Joys - Hearst Books