Pennsylvania Dutch Cake and Custard Pie
- 1 (15 ounce) package Pillsbury All Ready Pie Crusts
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon apple pie spice or 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon ginger,1/8 teaspoon nutmeg and 1/8 teaspoon allspice combined
- 1 cup applesauce
- 2/3 cup dairy sour cream
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup margarine or butter,
- 1/2 cup sour milk, or add 1 teaspoon lemon juice to 1/2 cup milk and
letstand for 5 minutes
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose or unbleached flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons
- Prepare pie crust according to package directions for "filled one-crust
pie," using 9-inch pie pan or 9-inch deep-dish pie pan. (Refrigerate remaining
crust for a later use.)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. In medium bowl, combine 1/3 cup sugar, 2 tablespoons
flour and apple pie spice; mix well.
- Stir in remaining filling ingredients; blend well. Set aside.
- In small bowl, combine 1/2 cup sugar and margarine; beat until well blended.
- Add sour milk, 1 egg and vanilla extract; beat until smooth.
- Lightly spoon flour into measuring cup; level off. Add flour, baking powder,
salt and baking soda; mix well.
- Spoon into crust-lined pan.
- Carefully pour filling mixture over batter.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 45 to 60 minutes or until center springs back
when touched lightly and top is deep golden brown.
- Meanwhile, in small bowl combine glaze ingredients; blend well. Drizzle
over hot pie.
- Serve slightly warm.
Serves eight to 10.
Source: Pillsbury winner - Gladys Fulton, Summerville, South Carolina