Pennsylvania Dutch Chicken Bake
Chicken thighs are nestled in a deliciously-seasoned mixture of sauerkraut, onions, apple, apricots and raisins.
- 1 (2-pound) package Perdue® Fresh Chicken Thighs
- Salt and ground pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1-2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 (14-ounce) can sauerkraut, undrained
- 1 (14-ounce) can whole onions, drained
- 1 tart red apple, unpeeled, sliced or diced
- 6-8 dried whole apricots
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, or to taste
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Season thighs with salt and pepper.
- In a large, nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, heat oil. Cook
thighs 6 to 8 minutes per side until browned.
- Meanwhile, in 9 x 13-inch shallow baking dish, mix sauerkraut well with
onions, apple, apricots, raisins and brown sugar. Nestle thighs into
- Cover and bake 30 to 40 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through, and
a meat thermometer inserted in thickest part of thigh registers 180 degrees
Recipe and photo credit: National Chicken Council.