Pennsylvania Dutch Chicken and Flat Dumplings
- 1 large (5 pound) washed chicken
- 1 large onion, quartered
- 3 stalks celery, cut into large chunks
- 1 teaspoon whole peppercorn
- 2 1/2 teaspoons salt
- Place chicken in a 6- to 8-quart stockpot. Add remaining ingredients. Bring to
boil. Simmer until chicken is done, about 2 hours.
- When cool, remove bones and fat from chicken. Cut into pieces, and return to
- Noodles: In a bowl, mix together 2 cups flour and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Make a well
in the center, and gradually work 4 eggs into the flour until stiff dough is formed,
adding water a little at a time if necessary. Knead until smooth. Divide dough in
half. Roll each half as thin as possible then cut into thin 1-2 inch squares.
- Bring the broth back to rolling boil. Drop noodle squares one at a time, making
sure each are drenched in broth. Reduce heat, cover and continue to cook until noodles
are done, about 8 minutes. DON'T PEEK!
- Serve in large bowl and ladle onto plates at the table. Serve with chopped onion.