Pennsylvania Dutch Funeral Pie
- Pastry for two-crust pie
- 2 cups raisins
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a pan with half the pastry and chill.
- Place the raisins and 2/3 cup of the water in a heavy-bottom saucepan and heat
over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Combine the sugars, cornstarch, spices and salt into a bowl and, mixing all the
time, slowly add the remaining 1 1/3 cups water. Add this mixture to the heating
raisins. Cook and stir this until the mixture begins to bubble. Add the vinegar
and butter, and heat until the butter is melted, stirring it in. Cool until just
warm. Pour into the prepared shell and top with the second crust.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until golden.