Shaker Bean Soup
- 1 pound dry Great Northern beans
- 1 meaty ham bone or 2 smoked ham hocks
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 celery stalks, diced
- 2 carrots, shredded
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes in puree
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups finely shredded fresh spinach leaves
- Sort and rinse beans.
- Place in a Dutch oven or soup kettle; cover with water and bring to
a boil. Boil for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand 1 hour.
- Drain beans and discard liquid.
- In the same kettle, place ham bone or hocks, 3 quarts of water and
beans. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, 1 1/2 hours or
until meat easily falls from the bone.
- Remove bones from broth, trim off the meat and discard bones.
- Add ham, onion, celery, carrots, salt, pepper and thyme. Simmer,
covered, for 1 hour or until beans are tender.
- Add tomatoes and brown sugar. Cook for 10 minutes.
- Just before serving, add spinach.