Shaker Cheddar Bread
This bread freezes beautifully, so you may like to double the recipe to make 1 loaf to freeze for later use.
- 1 1/2 cups whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 cup unbleached white flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened (1/2 stick)
- 1 1/2 cups firmly packed grated sharp Cheddar cheese
- 2 eggs, well beaten
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon dried dill (optional)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Oil a 9 x 5 x 3-inch aluminum loaf pan.
- Sift flours, baking powder and salt together into a large mixing bowl.
- Cut the butter into 4 or 5 bits. Blend it into the flour mixture by pressing it in with the tines of fork until the mixture resembles a coarse meal.
- Stir in the grated cheese.
- In another bowl, combine the beaten eggs with the milk, honey and optional dill. Beat together until well blended.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry and beat together vigorously until thoroughly mixed.
- Pour the mixture into prepared loaf pan.
- Bake for about 50 minutes or until the top is browned and a knife inserted into the center tests clean.
- When the loaf is cool enough to handle, remove it from its pan and allow it to cool on a rack.