Shaker Wheaten Bread
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons honey or maple syrup
- 1 cake yeast
- 1 cup warm water, divided
- 2 cups sifted flour
- 4 cups whole wheat flour
- Scald milk; add salt, butter, syrup and 3/4 cup warm water. Stir well.
Let cool to lukewarm.
- In the remaining 1/4 cup water, dissolve the yeast; add to other
- Add flour gradually and knead into a smooth ball. Place in buttered bowl
and brush top with soft butter. Let rise to double its bulk.
- Knead lightly this time and shape into loaf in pan.
- Again brush with soft butter and let rise to twice its bulk.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 50 to 60 minutes.
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.