Authentic Texas chili is not made with ground beef, but rather with cubed beef.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 pounds stewing beef, cubed
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 (12 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 2 pickled jalapeno peppers, rinsed, seeded and chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can pinto beans, drained
- In a large heavy pan, heat oil, and brown beef cubes on all sides.
- Add onions, bell pepper and garlic and fry them with beef for about 5 minutes.
- Add all the remaining ingredients except beans, and simmer the chili for 1 1/2 hours or until the meat is tender.
- Add beans, and simmer 30 minutes longer.
Source: Old advertisement from Lone Star Brewing Co., Inc.
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.