Texas Chuck Wagon Chili
- 1 (3 pound) beef chuck roast, cut into small stew-size chunks (including fat)
- 6 tablespoons chili powder
- 3 tablespoons ground oregano
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon cayenne (less if you don't like it really hot)
- 1 1/2 to 2 quarts water
- 1/3 cup Masa Harina or cornmeal
- Using some of the fat, render fat for browning rest of meat. Brown meat in a
cast-iron Dutch oven.
- Add chili powder, oregano, garlic, cumin and cayenne. Stir to coat meat.
- Add water and stir. Bring liquid to boil and simmer, covered, for 1 to 11/2 hours.
- Make a thick paste of Masa Harina or cornmeal and add to chili. Stir to prevent lumping.
- Remove lid and simmer 30 to 45 minutes longer (more if you like) to thicken and
reduce stew to desired consistency.
You may need to cut down on the seasonings to suit more tender, non-Texas palates.
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.