Texas Pecan Cake
- 1 pound butter or margarine
- 2 1/2 cups sugar
- 7 eggs, separated
- 5 cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 4 tablespoons warm wine
- 1 to 2 ounces lemon extract
- 1 pound candied pineapple
- 1 1/2 pounds candied cherries
- 1 quart chopped pecans
- Cream butter and sugar.
- Add beaten egg yolks, then a little flour, then the baking
soda dissolved in the warm wine.
- Add the remaining flour alternately with the lemon extract.
- Stir in the fruit
and nuts; then fold in the beaten egg whites.
- Bake in pans lined with wax paper at 250 degrees F for about four hours.
Yields 4 loaves.
The finished batter will be too much for a mixing bowl, so use a large
pot to mix in the fruits, nuts and egg whites (or halve the recipe)
Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Texas Recipes