Texas Shrimp Gumbo
Texas Shrimp Gumbo is a Texan classic.
- 4 quarts water
- 1/4 cup shrimp or crab boil
- 2 1/2 pounds shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons bacon drippings
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 cup diced green bell pepper
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried leaf thyme
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon file powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (10 ounce) package thawed, frozen, cut okra
- 1/4 cup uncooked long-grain rice
- In large pot, bring water to a boil.
- Tie shrimp or crab boil in a cheesecloth bag.
- Add to water with shrimp. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes.
Turn off heat; let stand 10 minutes.
- Drain shrimp, reserving 2 cups broth.
- In a heavy Dutch oven, heat butter and bacon drippings.
- Add celery, onion and green bell pepper. Cook until tender.
- Add shrimp broth, tomatoes with juice, thyme, garlic, bay leaf, Worcestershire
sauce, file powder, salt and pepper to vegetable mixture. Simmer, covered 45 minutes.
- Add okra and rice. Simmer, covered, 30 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Add shrimp and heat through.
Makes 8 servings.
Recipe Goldmine is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. This is without any additional cost to you.