World's Largest Corn Chips Chili Pie
This was fixed at Odessa, Texas in October, 1986 during the Permian Basin Oil
Show. Proceeds from the chili pie feed were donated to the Odessa Youth Shelter.
Foods were donated by the company of each brand name mentioned.
- 5,000 pounds cubed ground chuck
- 500 pounds onions, chopped (reserve 50 pounds for garnish)
- 225 gallons canned whole tomatoes, chopped
- 156 pounds William's Chili Seasoning Mix
- Garlic to taste
- Chili powder to taste
- Salt to taste
- 1,000 pounds Fritos brand corn chips
- 1,000 pounds pre-grated Kraft Cheddar cheese
- Locate 10 people who will spend 3 days chopping onions. Bag the onions and store
in a cool place.
- The morning of the event, brown meat in a 20 x 4 x 3-foot wood
burning kettle using sterilized rakes.
- Add 450 pounds of chopped onions and continue "raking"
until onions are tender.
- Add tomatoes, chili seasoning mix and other spices and
simmer at least 5 hours, adding oak wood to kettle to keep temperature at 140 degrees
- Just before serving, add a layer of corn chips to chili surface.
- Top with layer of grated cheese and remaining onions.
- Serve by scooping all four layers into bowls.
- Flip pie as served so corn chips are on the bottom.
- As corn chips, cheese and onion
layer is depleted, stir chili and add new layer of each to newly exposed surface.
- Repeat until all chili is served.
Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Texas Recipes