- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup enriched hominy grits or quick grits
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 4 ounces Monterey jack cheese (with or without jalapeno peppers), shredded
- 1/2 cup dairy sour cream
- 1/4 cup milk
- Heat oven to 425 degrees F. Lightly grease a cookie sheet.
- Combine dry ingredients; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Stir in cheese.
- Combine sour cream and milk; add to dry ingredients, mixing just until moistened.
Shape dough to form a ball; knead gently on lightly floured surface 10 to 12 times.
Roll dough to 3/4 inch thickness. Cut with floured 2-inch biscuit cutter. Place
1 inch apart on prepared cookie sheet.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown.
Yield: 12 biscuits
Per biscuit: calories 200; carbohydrates 18 g; protein 5 g; fat 12 g; calcium
93 mg; sodium 560 mg; cholesterol 10 mg; dietary fiber 0 g