Tex-Mex Enchiladas 2
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- 1 1/2 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon red chili powder (or more)
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 6 corn tortillas
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cups grated Longhorn cheese
- Melt shortening in a heavy skillet. Stir in flour and make a roux.
- Add chili powder and water; stir and cook until the gravy is thick. Keep warm
while preparing the tortillas.
- Heat oven to 450 degrees F. Lightly grease an ovenproof casserole dish.
- Heat oil in a skillet and lightly fry each tortilla for about 5 seconds on each
side. Do not overcook or they will get rubbery. Drain on paper towels.
- Dip each tortilla into the gravy, put some of the onion and cheese on the tortilla,
roll it up, and place it, seam side down, in a casserole dish.
- Repeat until all 6 tortillas have been rolled.
- Pour the chili gravy over the tortillas, top with more cheese, and bake for about
Yield: 2 servings