Crushed tortilla chips is the ingredient that sets these Tex-Mex Meatballs apart from the rest!
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1/2 cup tortilla chips, crushed (about 2 ounces)
- 6 tablespoons water or beef broth
- 4 ounces canned green chiles
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons chipotle powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 15 ounces red enchilada sauce
- 2 cups Mexican style shredded cheese (or any easy melt style)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a bowl, combine the crushed tortilla chips (they should be the size of large breadcrumbs) with the water or beef broth. Stir to make a thick paste. This helps keep the meatballs moist but also adds a great corn flavor.
- In a large bowl, combine ground beef, green chiles, salt, garlic powder, cumin, chipotle powder, onion powder and the tortilla chip mix. Using hands, mix lightly but thoroughly (do not pack).
- Form the ground beef mixture into balls, using about 1/3 cup of the mixture per ball. Do not overwork or form the meatballs too tightly.
- Place the meatballs in a large skillet, leaving space between them, then bake for 15 minutes.
- Pour the enchilada sauce over/around the meatballs, and return to the oven for an additional 7 minutes.
- Sprinkle the cheese all over the meatballs, and return to the oven until cheese is melted, about 3-5 minutes.
- Serve immediately. Caution, skillet will be extremely hot.
Yield: 8 servings
Nutrition facts based on 90% lean ground beef.
Nutrition information per serving: 360 Calories; 195.5 kcal Calories
from fat; 21.7 g Total Fat; (9.8 g Saturated Fat; 4.8 g Monounsaturated
Fat); 98.7 mg Cholesterol; 1133 mg Sodium; 10 g Total Carbohydrate; 0.6 g
Dietary Fiber; 30 g Protein; 3.2 mg Iron; 437 mg Potassium; 6.1 mg Niacin;
0.5 mg Vitamin B6; 2.5 mcg Vitamin B12; 5.5 mg Zinc; 19.3 mcg Selenium; 76.2
This recipe is an excellent source of Protein, Niacin, Vitamin B6,
Vitamin B12, Selenium and Zinc and a good source of Riboflavin, Iron and
Recipe and photo used with permission from:
Texas Beef Team
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.