Almost Dirty Rice
Variation: Substitute 2 pounds washed, shelled and deveined shrimp or prawns for chicken.
- 1 ground turkey or ground beef
- 2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 1 medium green or red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 large jalapeno pepper, seeds removed and chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 cup white rice
- 2 cups chicken or beef broth
- Brown the ground turkey or beef over medium heat, then drain the fat.
- Sprinkle in the Cajun seasoning, then stir.
- Remove the meat from the skillet, then add the oil.
- Toss in the garlic, onion, peppers and thyme.
- Cook until the peppers and onion soften, then add the meat to the skillet.
- Mix the ingredients, then add rice and stir in well.
- Pour in the chicken or beef broth, and stir.
- Let cook for about 20 minutes, or until the rice is cooked.