Bananas Foster Medallions
The original Bananas Foster recipe was created in 1951 by Paul Blangé for Brennan's
Restaurant in New Orleans. Rhodes' version of this classic dish is simply delicious
- especially when topped with rich vanilla ice cream!
- 12 Rhodes™ Dinner Rolls, thawed to room temperature
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 3 bananas, cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- oil for deep frying
- Preheat oil to 350 degrees F, enough that the 3-inch medallions can float
- Spray counter lightly with non-stick spray.
- Cut each roll in half and flatten each half into a 3-inch circle. Cover
with plastic wrap and let rest.
- Melt butter in a skillet. Add brown sugar and heat to a low boil. Cook at
this temperature for five minutes, stirring constantly (butter and sugar may
not combine completely).
- Add bananas and continue to cook at a low boil. Mixture will be thin. Stir
constantly until mixture thickens. Remove from heat to cool.
- Remove wrap from dough circles. Brush 12 of the circles, around edges, with
the beaten egg.
- Divide cooled banana filling equally between the remaining 12 dough circles.
- Top with the 12 egg washed dough circles, egg washed side down, and pinch
together to seal completely.
- Before deep frying pinch edges together once more.
- Fry in small batches until deep golden brown on both sides.
- Place on a rack to drain.
- Serve warm with vanilla ice cream, if desired.
Prep Time: 15 min (not including thaw time) | Servings: 6 | Skills: Intermediate
Reprinted with permission from
Rhodes International - rhodesbread.com.