- 1 1/2 to 2 pounds boneless beef chuck roast
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small onion, thin wedges
- 1 medium potato, diced
- 1 celery stalk, sliced
- 1 can whole tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup steak sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 (10 ounce) package frozen baby okra, thawed
- 1 to 2 teaspoons gumbo file (optional)
- Trim meat and cut into 1-inch cubes.
- Combine all ingredients except okra and gumbo file in Dutch oven. Bring
to a boil, reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour and 20 minutes or until
beef is tender.
- Stir in okra and gumbo file; heat through, without boiling.
- Serve over hot, cooked rice.