Beef and Ham Gumbo in Rice Border
- 1 pound beef, diced
- 3/4 pound cured ham, diced
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup diced celery
- Bay leaf
- 1 quart canned tomatoes
- 2 cups water
- 1 quart okra
- Cook beef and ham until tender.
- Add parsley, onion, green pepper, celery and bay leaf. Cook mixture for
a few minutes, then add water and the tomatoes and simmer until tender.
- Add okra. Season to taste, and when okra is tender and stew is thickened,
remove bay leaf and serve in rice border.
From Grandmother's Legacy - The Wichita Eagle10/31/01