- 1/2 cup water
- 4 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs
- 1/8 teaspoon orange oil or 1 tablespoon
dark rum (optional)
- Combine water, butter and salt in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil.
Remove from the heat and add the flour all at once. Stir vigorously until the
mixture leaves the sides of the pan and forms a ball around the spoon. (If a
ball does not form almost immediately, hold the saucepan over low heat and beat
briskly a few seconds). Cool slightly.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, and beat vigorously until the mixture is smooth
and glossy after both additions.
- Add the flavoring, if desired, and beat again.
- Add oil to a wok, heavy skillet or deep fry to a depth of about 1 1/2 inches.
Heat to 365 degrees F.
- Drop dough by tablespoons into hot fat. Fry until browned on all sides and
center is cooked through, about 2 minutes per side. Fry and test one first to
determine approximately cooking time.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Serve hot dusted with confectioners' sugar.
Yield: about 20 golf ball-size beignets soufflés