Boudin Blanc with Muenster Cheese
- 3 pounds boneless pork butt, cut in 1/4-inch dice
- 1 pound mixed boneless chicken, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 pound pork fat back, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 pound Wisconsin muenster cheese, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- Kosher salt to taste
- Grind meats and fat through meat grinder using plate with small (1/8-inch)
- Place ground mixture in large bowl of standing mixer and add all ingredients
except cheese and salt. Mix with paddle attachment. Fold cheese into the farce.
- Case sausages in pork hank, twisting to form 4-ounce links.
- Dry for 1 hour in walk-in cooler.
- To poach, bring 4 to 5 gallons of water to a boil. When boiling, turn off
- Add sausage and cover with lid. Let stand for 10 to 15 minutes or until
sausages reach interior temperature of 145 degrees F.
- Cool sausages on sheet pan lined with kitchen towels.
- Store in refrigerator up to 5 days.
Yield: 24 servings
To reheat: Grill, broil or bake sausage until hot. The sausages can be made into
patties and sautéed until cooked through.
The chef serves sausage with Spaghetti Squash "Choucroute" and whole
By Chef Jamie Bissonnette
Recipe and photo credit (used with permission):
Dairy Farmers of Wisconsin