Bread Pudding with Bourbon Sauce
A classic recipe for bread pudding lovers everywhere!
- 2 cups milk
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon or nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 6 cups dry bread cubes (8 slices)
- 1/2 cup raisins, if desired
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 2 tablespoons whipping cream
- 3 to 4 tablespoons bourbon or 2 teaspoons brandy extract
- Bread Pudding: Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In 2-quart saucepan, heat milk and 1/4 cup butter over medium heat until
butter is melted and milk is hot.
- In large bowl, mix granulated sugar, cinnamon, salt and eggs with wire whisk
until well blended.
- Stir in bread cubes and raisins.
- Stir in milk mixture.
- Pour into ungreased 8-inch square (2-quart) glass baking dish or 1 1/2-quart
- Place casserole in 13 x 9-inch pan; pour boiling water into pan until 1
- Bake uncovered 40 to 45 minutes or until knife inserted 1 inch from edge
of baking dish comes out clean.
- Bourbon Sauce: In 1-quart heavy saucepan, heat all sauce ingredients to boiling over medium
heat, stirring constantly, until sugar is dissolved.
- Serve sauce over warm bread pudding.
- Store in refrigerator.
Yield: 8 servings
Be sure to set aside a serving (or two) of this mouthwatering bread pudding so
you can enjoy it for tomorrow’s breakfast!
Simplify: Eliminate an ingredient by using 8 slices of cinnamon-raisin bread
and leaving out the 1/2 cup raisins.
Nutrition Information: 1 Serving: Calories 450 (Calories from Fat 200); Total
Fat 22g (Saturated Fat 13g, Trans Fat 1g); Cholesterol 110mg; Sodium 430mg; Total
Carbohydrate 56g (Dietary Fiber 0g, Sugars 43g); Protein 6g
Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 15%; Vitamin C 0%; Calcium 15%; Iron 10%
Exchanges: 1 1/2 Starch; 2 Other Carbohydrate; 0 Vegetable; 4 1/2 Fat Carbohydrate
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Reprinted with permission from
Betty Crocker 2009/TM General Mills.