Buster Crab, Lettuce and Tomato Sandwich
BLT is a fried soft-shell crab served open-face over toasted brioche and dressed
with fresh vegetables.
- 1 Louisiana soft shell crab, dressed
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup seasoned flour
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 1/4 cup mixed red, yellow, and green grape tomatoes, peeled
- 1 dash 25-year-old balsamic vinegar
- 1 pinch minced chive
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 slice brioche or challah, toasted
- 2 teaspoons your favorite aioli
- 1 pinch micro greens
- 1 pinch lettuce sprouts
- salt and pepper to taste
- chive oil for garnish
- beet juice for garnish
- In a sauté pan, heat the canola oil over a medium-high flame.
- Season the buster crab with salt and pepper. Toss into a mixture of seasoned
flour and cornmeal.
- Place the crab into hot canola oil and allow to cook for 1 minute on each
- Season the tomatoes with salt, pepper, vinegar, chives, and olive oil. Place
the tomatoes over a well-toasted brioche and place into a serving plate.
- After cooking the buster crab, remove and allow it to drain over some absorbent
towels for a moment.
- Place the crab over the tomatoes and top it with a dollop of aioli, which
you in turn cover with a pinch of micro greens and lettuce sprouts.
- To serve, garnish the plate with additional chopped chives, chive oil, and
Recipe and photo credit: Chef John Besh, Restaurant August, New Orleans through Louisiana