Buster Crab, Lettuce and Tomato Sandwich
BLT is a fried soft-shell crab served open-face over toasted brioche and dressed
with fresh vegetables.
- 1 each Louisiana soft shell crab, dressed
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup seasoned flour
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 1/4 cup mixed red, yellow, and green grape tomatoes, peeled
- 1 dash 25-year-old balsamic vinegar
- 1 pinch minced chive
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 slice brioche or challah, toasted
- 2 teaspoons your favorite aioli
- 1 pinch micro greens
- 1 pinch lettuce sprouts
- salt and pepper to taste
- chive oil for garnish
- beet juice for garnish
- In a sauté pan, heat the canola oil over a medium-high flame.
- Season the buster crab with salt and pepper. Toss into a mixture of seasoned
flour and cornmeal.
- Place the crab into hot canola oil and allow to cook for 1 minute on each
- Season the tomatoes with salt, pepper, vinegar, chives, and olive oil. Place
the tomatoes over a well-toasted brioche and place into a serving plate.
- After cooking the buster crab, remove and allow it to drain over some absorbent
towels for a moment.
- Place the crab over the tomatoes and top it with a dollop of aioli, which
you in turn cover with a pinch of micro greens and lettuce sprouts.
- To serve, garnish the plate with additional chopped chives, chive oil, and
Reprinted with permission from Chef John Besh, Restaurant August, New Orleans through Louisiana
Other Cajun and Creole recipes you may like...
Old-Time Louisiana Cream Fudge
Cajun Sausage Jambalaya
BBQ Shrimp Po'Boy
Traditional New Orleans Oyster Dressing