Cajun Country Deep Fried Turkey
- 1 (12-14 pound) turkey
- 16 ounces marinade of your choice * or seasoned stock
- Salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper mixture
- 5 gallons peanut oil or canola oil
- Inject marinade (or seasoned stock) in as many areas of the turkey as possible.
- Mix salt, pepper and cayenne thoroughly, and rub mixture over bird.
- Cover bird, refrigerate and let set overnight for maximum flavor.
- Truss turkey and make a handle to aid in raising and lowering turkey into
the hot oil.
- Fill a LARGE stock pot with oil and heat to 350 degrees F. Cook 3 to 4 minutes
per pound. Time this carefully so you do not overcook or dry out the turkey.
- Remove the turkey from stock pot VERY CAREFULLY and let rest for 15 minutes.
- Carve and enjoy!
Yield: 8 to 10 servings
* There are several commercial marinades and injector needles sold as packaged
sets, e.g., Tony Chacheres, Zatarain's and Paul Prudhomme are among the available
Source: Chef-Instructor Cheryl Corrado - Cooking & Hospitality Institute
of Chicago (CHIC)