Cajun Country Deep Fried Turkey
- 1 (12-14 pound) turkey
- 16 ounces marinade of your choice * or seasoned stock
- Salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper mixture
- 5 gallons peanut oil or canola oil
- Inject marinade (or seasoned stock) in as many areas of the turkey as possible.
- Mix salt, pepper and cayenne thoroughly, and rub mixture over bird.
- Cover bird, refrigerate and let set overnight for maximum flavor.
- Truss turkey and make a handle to aid in raising and lowering turkey into
the hot oil.
- Fill a LARGE stock pot with oil and heat to 350 degrees F. Cook 3 to 4 minutes
per pound. Time this carefully so you do not overcook or dry out the turkey.
- Remove the turkey from stock pot VERY CAREFULLY and let rest for 15 minutes.
- Carve and enjoy!
Yield: 8 to 10 servings
* There are several commercial marinades and injector needles sold as packaged
sets, e.g., Tony Chacheres, Zatarain's and Paul Prudhomme are among the available
Source: Chef-Instructor Cheryl Corrado - Cooking & Hospitality Institute
of Chicago (CHIC)
Other Cajun and Creole recipes you may like...
Deep Fried Turkeys
Deviled Louisiana Blue Crab Cakes with Smoky Rémoulade Sauce
Louisiana Crawfish Ravioli with Crawfish Cream Sauce