Cajun Dirty Gravy
A roux-based gravy with ground andouille sausage, onions, bell peppers and mushrooms.
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 cup diced onions
- 1/2 cup diced green bell peppers
- 1 cup sliced fresh button mushrooms
- 2 cups ground andouille sausage
- 1 tablespoon
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons coarse ground black pepper
- 4 cups light chicken broth
- About 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- Place the andouille sausage in a food processor and grind until fine.
- Place butter in a small saucepan and melt, being sure not to burn.
- Using a wire whip, add the flour and bring heat up to medium-high. You will
need to constantly whip the flour and butter mixture (roux).
- The roux will begin to brown. At this point you must not leave your pan.
You are looking for a walnut brown color, be careful not to burn. If you burn
it, pitch it and start again.
- Once the roux is brown, add the onions, peppers, mushrooms, andouille sausage,
and all of the seasoning. Keep stirring, the vegetables will cook quickly.
- Last add the chicken broth slowly, whipping well to prevent lumping.
- Taste and adjust seasoning as necessary. Be careful with the salt because
the andouille has plenty in it.
Yield: 4 servings