Cajun Macaroni and Cheese with Andouille Sausage
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup onions, finely diced
- 1/2 cup peppers, finely diced (preferably a mixture of yellow, green and red)
- 1 cup (6 ounces) andouille sausage, cut into 1/4-inch half moons
- 4 cups (1 quart) heavy cream, reduced to 3 3/4 cups
- 2 cups (1/2 pound) sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 pound spiral or other pasta, cooked in plenty of salted water according to package directions and drained
- 1/4 cup green onions, including green part, sliced thin for garnish
- To reduce cream: Place in a large, heavy-bottomed saucepan and bring to
a boil. Boil cream about 10 minutes and skim top before adding to recipe. Watch
carefully as cream may boil up suddenly.
- In a large sauté pan over high heat, add butter (don't wait for it to
melt or it will burn), onions and peppers and sauté until vegetables begin to
- Add andouille sausage and continue to cook over high heat until the vegetables
begin to turn golden and the sausage begins to color.
- Lower heat and continue to sauté until the vegetables are very soft, about
- Add reduced heavy cream and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Lower heat to medium-high and continue to simmer, about 5 minutes.
- Add cheese and stir well with a wooden spoon until the cheese is well melted.
- Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Continue to simmer another 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Toss in cooked, drained pasta and mix well.
- To serve, garnish with finely sliced green onions.
6 servings | Prep Time: 20 min | Cook Time: 20 min
Recipe courtesy of Chef Lisa Schroeder, Mother's Bistro and Bar, Portland, Oregon, on behalf of the American Dairy Association.
Recipe and photo credit: American Dairy Association