Cajun Macaroni and Cheese
with Andouille Sausage
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup onions, finely diced
- 1/2 cup peppers, finely diced (preferably a mixture of yellow, green and red)
- 1 cup (6 ounces) andouille sausage, cut into 1/4-inch half moons
- 4 cups (1 quart) heavy cream, reduced to 3 3/4 cups
- 2 cups (1/2 pound) sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 pound spiral or other pasta, cooked in plenty of salted water according to package directions and drained
- 1/4 cup green onions, including green part, sliced thin for garnish
- To reduce cream: Place in a large, heavy-bottomed saucepan and bring to
a boil. Boil cream about 10 minutes and skim top before adding to recipe. Watch
carefully as cream may boil up suddenly.
- In a large sauté pan over high heat, add butter (don't wait for it to
melt or it will burn), onions and peppers and sauté until vegetables begin to
- Add andouille sausage and continue to cook over high heat until the vegetables
begin to turn golden and the sausage begins to color.
- Lower heat and continue to sauté until the vegetables are very soft, about
- Add reduced heavy cream and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Lower heat to medium-high and continue to simmer, about 5 minutes.
- Add cheese and stir well with a wooden spoon until the cheese is well melted.
- Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Continue to simmer another 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Toss in cooked, drained pasta and mix well.
- To serve, garnish with finely sliced green onions.
6 servings | Prep Time: 20 mins | Cook Time: 20 mins
Recipe courtesy of Chef Lisa Schroeder, Mother's Bistro and Bar, Portland, Oregon, on behalf of the American Dairy Association.
Reprinted with permission from the American Dairy Association.
Other Cajun and Creole recipes you may like...
Deep Fried Turkeys
Deviled Louisiana Blue Crab Cakes with Smoky Rémoulade Sauce
Louisiana Crawfish Ravioli with Crawfish Cream Sauce